Monday, January 26, 2009

3 Weeks Down, A Million to Go

Three weeks have elapsed since I began boot camp. I can honestly say I now look forward to class and going, sweating, hurting, and counting the minutes til it's over. We do some of the most creative exercises that really keep it interesting and keep my body guessing after each workout.

I've run up half-mile hills 5 times and back down. I've done more squats than I have my entire life combined. I'm doing push-ups -- couldn't do one in the beginning. (I know...pathetic, huh?)! I'm jump-roping and lunging and tugging and pulling. I'm running. Again. Like I used to. And sweating. And starting to feel like my old self again. The athlete inside is slowly re-emerging. I see her in the mirror some days, just waiting to put on the running shoes and see how far we can push mind over matter. I love a competition...even with myself.

I haven't been brave enough to weigh myself, but will at the end of the 6 week time period as we take measurements again then. I do know that accountability is so huge in trying to lose weight and work out. Whenever I had a running plan with a goal at the end, I stuck to it. Whenever I journal my food, I eat a lot better. Accountability. Huge.

So aside from sore muscles, ingrown toenails, and managing a more hectic schedule than I had before...I'm happier. I'm stronger. Inside and out. And it feels good.

And then I remember...it's never over. Not in 3 weeks, not ever. Eventually, even if you stop, you have to begin again. I hope I put a lot of time inbetween stopping this time. Since I can't get pregnant and use babies as an excuse, I just have to stick with it. (What? You mean you never thought of getting pregnant as a way to eat anything you want, as much as you want? Silly YOU!)

If not, there's always boot camp to remind me that having a body, even my body, is great!

2 comments:

Grapefruit said...

I've always admired that athlete in you. I've just never had that, and you are so good at it. I'm proud of you for sticking with this and being so motivated! You're almost there! Just think, if I lived there we could celebrate the end with a big bread-only dinner at Il Fornaio! YUM...

Liz said...

I am SOOOOO proud of you. Do you know what? I would absolutely love to do it with you. I can picture myself working out like that. I would love to sweat up a storm and feel those muscles working. I hope that is in the future for me. For now, I'm content with my 30 minutes on the treadmill... :)