It seems everyone is on vacation. Everyone but me. This is the time of year my head starts to spin, dreaming of long walks on a sandy beach, far from home. Late breakfasts that lead into lunch after a slow start to an unplanned day. A day that doesn't include alarm clarks and bag lunches, soccer practices and hours of homework, loads of laundry, and meals to plan.
It's still hot here. I mean, HOT. That isn't helping. The heat just seems to go on forever. I hear my wallet draining every time the A/C kicks on. I'm ready to make a big pot of soup and yet couldn't bear to sit down and eat it. The pool isn't done yet, and even if it were, the sun is setting earlier, so it won't nearly heat up to a degree that I could bear to don my Polar Bear suit and jump in.
Knowing others close to me are on vacation when none of that is within months of me enjoying it is like torture. Jealousy...I'm admitting it. Not beneath it. There's just that feeling of freedom and pure happiness while on vacation with my family. The kids seem happier (and I have pretty durn happy kids), my husband seems more relaxed (and he is), and I feel joy on a minutely basis. And it goes by so quickly.
There are things to look forward to. I heard today was the first day of Autumn which excites me. I've got 26 fall scented candles burning to celebrate. I'm thinking of pumpkin patches and pumpkin muffins. Apple cider and popcorn balls. The excitement of a holiday approaching. And then another one and another one.
Today, however, I'm stewing in my pot of self-pity and how unlucky I am to not be on vacation today. No, no. Don't try and make me feel better. It wouldn't work. Plus, I've been out with the stomach flu and nursing another back to health as well. I'm past feeling better. And when I've made up my mind, forgetaboutit.
Unless. Unless. You brought me a souvenier. Some token of hope that vacation will soon again be upon me. Renew me. Replenish me. No pressure. My folks are coming for a visit soon and I don't want to mislead them into thinking I meant a can of Reliv. Nope. Just something fun. A symbol.
I know...a LOTTO ticket!
9 comments:
If it makes you feel any better, it's still 90 degrees during the day here and I still sleep with a fan on every night. But in my case, the fan thing may have something to do with my turning 54 years old recently. Anyway, 50 degree nights are still only a dream for now.
I'm not on vacation either. Things sure do look fun in Grapefruitland, don't they?! :) Maybe she'll send you a souvenir.
Hey man, you too could be enjoying my life right now. All it costs is a painful two hour time share presentation. So put your money where your mouth is and get on down here already! We can go get some frozen bananas together and then I'll sit by the pool while you go get your fancy facials/pedicures/massages.
YOu know you would...
Ok, you be jealous of vacations and I will be jealous of your new house AND future swimming pool ; )
It was 95 here today, it had to have been hot in the valley. Yuck.
Burn your fall scented candles! Maybe fall will come a little sooner, like praying to the rain God (not that I believe in that of course).
P.S.- Can you recommend a good pumpkin spice candle/brand?
P.S.S.- Thank you for your super sweet comments on my last post. I hate to disappoint you though, if it was a close up shot you would have been able to see my crow's feet (of yea, I've gotem). But thank you none the less!
I'm with you-- wishing to be eating Balboa bars and tickling my feet in the sand instead of playing the organ for a funeral!
The nights here have dropped to such cold temperatures that I had to turn the heat on this morning-- already! I feel gypped that Indian summer didn't last a bit longer!
To every thing there is a season....
Thanks for the candle recommendations Debs. I will go check out some Yankees this weekend. I can already smell the pumkin lofting through the air. Yum. Bring on the cold weather!
Oh, I am laughing again. Trust me, we are NOT on vacation here! I'm late for another football game. I'm gonna be missing another touchdown if I don't get with it! SO glad you are feeling better. Wish I were kicking up some sand as well. Wanna share that pot of self-pity?
:) Love you!
I could totally see your mom bringing you boat loads of Reliv...
We are done with vacations here too... I just hope we got enough in to get us through the impending winter months. Summers here are like a wonderful dream, but you sure pay for it in the winter!
Sorry, wasn't signed in apparently, this is your cuz'n Cindy... not sure why it says "Female"
Post a Comment