Monday, September 27, 2010

September

Has this been a long month or is it just me? September is a month full of teasing. Teasing me that fall is coming by the changing leaves on my tree. It's teasing me that "the holidays" are just around the corner...(Costco has Christmas decorations and wrapping paper out already!). It's teasing me that those long summer days were short compared to these jam-packed with school, homework, driving here and driving there, laundry, packing lunches, rushing, running, and getting up far too early-days, runny noses and classrooms filled with germs (but not Bedbugs, Grapefruit!).

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm ready for pumpkins. And caramel apples. And peppermint hot chocolate. And dare I say, a flickering fire. And I've got the fall decorations to prove it!

But today...today it's 100 degrees. Not feeling a thing like fall. All I'm feeling like is a shower cuz I smell...and I don't need anyone to verify this. The boys took off their shoes after tennis and ran their sweaty, dirty barefeet across my tile. Hmmm. NOT loving that.

This time of year I'm already dreaming, daily, of vacations, and alone time with my family, away from routine. Which, frankly, I get a fair amount of already. We aren't the most social creatures on the planet. But I'm a gorger. And I love gorging on my family. I long for the carefree laughter and the moments of relaxation only a holiday can offer...not a long weekend...but extended days filled with this and that.

For now, I guess we'll just keep plugging away, because we don't have a choice. And I'll go outside and water my pots filled with salvia and bacopa before they shrivel up and die in the heat. And sweat some more. And dream of sweaters and warm socks and Christmas Carols.

Oh, Mother Nature, hear my cry!

(My mother always said I had a dramatic flair).

4 comments:

The Ewers said...

Ah come on...
Indian summer just means you get to enjoy your pool THAT much longer! If it makes you feel any better, it was 100 degrees here today too. Don't worry, fall is right around the corner, you can smell it in the air. Or, just order it off Starbucks menu (pumpkin drinks are back!)

Grapefruit said...

Bed bugs are taking over the world, haven't you heard? And as for the weather, if you think it's hot where you live...

All it takes are some candles (which I know you have) and decorations (which I can also verify that you have) and some fall baking (which I know you don't do.) So get in the kitchen and make an apple pie. It will bring on fall. I promise.

Liz said...

I REALLY loved this post. I could hear your voice and felt like I was (almost) sitting next to you.

September has been just over the top busy. Still trying to get the routine down to manageable :) We started rotating 72 hr. kit food 4 weeks ago, and then I started purchasing the food to put back in, and the kits have been next to our fireplace this entire month. A whole month! Ugh! But the children are enjoying their choices of how to spend their time, and I'm doing my best to support them in it. What a journey....

Rebecca and I were just talking about bedbugs on Saturday (MY Rebecca). I told her we needed to wash her sheets, and she didn't think bedbugs were real. So we did a little googling on the topic. She changed her sheets like THAT! :)

Love you!

Blue Eyes said...

I know just how you feel about autumn. Not to exult too much, but we really are having the most extra-ordinary fall ever here! Temperatures perfect, red splashes of color on the mountains, cool nights, last minute blooms of asters and zinnias, basil and geraniums; and squash and pumpkin in the community garden. It just doesn't get any better than this, and I wish I could send some of it your way to enjoy. But... you always get it later anyway!
I love your home in the fall. I can smell the candles now...