Thursday, March 26, 2009

Long Distance Runner

Today was Mal's first track meet she'd ever participated in. We discovered this year over Thanksgiving break that she really seemed to enjoy running. She's solitary and good at pacing herself, so we thought she should give track a go this year. I think she regretted not doing it last year...but it always takes her a while to warm up to ideas. She's always afraid she won't be perfect. Can you even imagine? Anyway, in her time trials at school, she got picked to run the mile, the 800, and the 4x400 relay B team. She was so excited.

So today was the big day. This is pre-racing, relaxed, socializing and just having fun.


This is her very bored brother hamming it up for the camera who asked me 100 times when were we going home?!!! We were there 2 hours. That was 2 more than he had hoped for! I confess, the track meet is a bit slow going and this wasn't as well-organized as it could have been. However, this is not a boy who likes being away from home for long stretches of time.


This is Mal -- the short girl in the green jersey -- baton in hand running the final leg of the 4x 4 relay.



The kicker...the mile event! Her favorite.

She placed 2nd of 9 girls in the 8th grade. She ran a personal best of 6:23. She was beaming. And from the sound of it -- so was I!!! I'm the kid's number one fan.

What a great day. Running rocks!

4 comments:

Grapefruit said...

First of all dawg, I gotta give you props for posting a video. Way to go on the technical stuff.

Dude, that was blazing hot! Mal has mad talent, she killed it!

Blue Eyes said...

Go, Mallory!! Was that green streak you? Awesome performance.
We are impressed! I couldn't run that fast even if I were being chased by a mad bull. Keep it up.

Wendi said...

I wish I could run farther than across the street. I'm lucky if I get out to walk! (Although we walked all over Arches National Park today. It's always good to exercise when on vacation.) She's awfully impressive! :)

Liz said...

Hats off to Mal! I loved watching her run, as did all of her cousins. She's not just inspiring me, she's inspiring our whole family!