Monday, July 13, 2009

Good Intentions

People really DO mean well. I know that.

Yesterday in church someone sat next to me that I have had a chance to see or speak to in a while. She said: "You look really great! Have you lost a bunch of weight?"

A bunch??? I'm trying to remember if I went through a hippo stage recently. While not my thinnest ever, I don't recall feeling like trumpeting my horn, either.

Really, what good came come from that? I think I was just wearing a flattering outfit and maybe I wasn't retaining water. I'll have to remember what I ate the day before to make me look so thin in 24 hours. I know she was really being nice, so I am going to stick with that and let it make me feel happy. After all, no one says that meaning to offend.

Yet, while I don't live life by a scale, I must tell you that I haven't lost a bunch of weight, as my daily clothes remind me. Still, I'm pleased by what was intended as a compliment. Sadly, I'm sure it was just my latest visit to the hairdresser that gave my weight a run for the money. I was just having a really good hair day!

See, honey, all those trips to the hairdresser really do pay off. They make my butt look smaller!

:)

5 comments:

Wendi said...

You DO have great hair. But I also thought you looked thin while you were here. :)

Grapefruit said...

You always look great. Seriously. And love the part about going through a hippo stage w/o knowing it. Classic.

Liz said...

Definitely take it as a compliment, because to her you were looking great. And I think "bunch" must mean like 15 pounds. Hippo stage? Hilarious!

shelley said...

i love how you give people the benefit of the doubt: "people really DO mean well." i'm sorry, anyone who says "you are HUGE!" or "you must be carrying twins" when you are pregnant does NOT mean well.

and i saw a pic of you on liz's blog - i'm with you about the hair. it looked GOOD! that's one thing i miss now that we're on a limited budget - having a hair pick-me-up every few months. it makes a WORLD of difference!!

The Ewers said...

I haven't seen you in person in a long time. That said, I can't think of one memeory of you where you didn't look good. You, Becca and Liz couldn't look bad if any of you tried.

I'm gonna go with Liz on this one. I think the chick was being sincere. That's hard to do these days, think someone was actually being sincere. Sad huh. Maybe it's because more and more people seem to be walking around with smug looks on their faces, taking cheap shots at people to curb their insecurities.

I've been making a conscious effort to look these people in the eye and smile. I'm sure people are like 'why is that crazy girl smiling at me?' but it never hurts to try and share a smile. Plus, it's hard to feel bad when we smile.

P.S.- Your hair looks fab!