It's finally here. The last Friday before school starts. I'm melancholy. And I only have a few minutes.
Life is hectic and full. I long for lazy afternoons filled with Polly Pockets and Thomas the Tank Engine. Those days are long gone. I long for them even more as I read my sister's blogs being reminded of days filled with glue, craft projects, and time to fill.
Today I dropped my daughter of at school. High School. For orientation. She was beautiful. Grown up. Confident. Shiney. She had straightened hair, sparkly lip gloss, and a very put together outfit, gratefully, in less than 30 minutes. Those skills will come in handy come 5:45 am on Monday morning.
I asked, no, begged my husband: "Can't we squeeze in one more afternoon on the boat?" I'm not sure he even hesitated. Somehow there is time for that. He will have to work this weekend to make this come to pass. But it will be worth it. Even he knows that.
Coolers are packed, towels are folded. The water is waiting. Precious laughter, relaxed bodies floating in the warm water. Calm. Before the storm, which is the school year.
I love the change of seasons and various paces of life. But this summer didn't creep by the way it usually has. My children are slipping away. In a good way. A necessary way. An "I'm so proud of them" way. Nonetheless, it's hard. Hard to say good-bye to yet another summer. Free time. Leisure. Life...the way I wish it could be all the time.
6 comments:
I hope you have a fun Friday boating together. High school sure is a whole different world than what's going on in Grapefruit land! I enjoy reading about both your worlds. :)
Amen! Summer flew by way too fast. And I still can't believe Mal is in 9th grade. Cello!!! (You have to say that like Jack Black for full effect.) Wasn't it just yesterday she was projecting vomit across the coffee table? Hmmm. On second thought, maybe you don't long for those olden days... :)
Make sure you take a picture on the first day of school for all of us long distance aunts.
'One more afternoon on the boat' Sounds all too familiar. Good for you! Neglect those Friday chores and/or work. Spend the time with your precious family, soaking up the sun and a little more relaxation. Because when you look back, you won't remember that chore or work on a Friday afternoon, you'll remember your kids faces beaming in the sunlight. Have a great weekend!
BTW- What Highschool is Malory going to? Take pictures!
Those glorious boating and lazy days of summer past! Glorious memories that you so aptly brought back. An absolutely perfect description of how I am feelings too this year. How did you read my mind? Now I want some pix.
Ditto, ditto, and ditto... summer is over too soon. We still have three weeks left but I'm sure I will be trying to cram in "one more afternoon on the boat" when our time comes. I hope you enjoyed your last hurrah!
It went sooo fast. One of the best highlights was seeing you, being together. Thanks again for coming. Can't wait to see those first day photos. I hope I can post mine today. Don't hold your breath. I'm not quite out of the back-to-school getting stuff mode. Today I have to get a mouth guard for Nate's football practice, a yellow folder and paint set for Eliza, and shoes for Rebecca and Eliza. Almost there. Looking forward to talking to you on the phone. Much love!
Post a Comment