Thursday, March 5, 2009

Eating Bon Bons?

Hardly. The life of a "stay-at-home" mom. I know many of you can relate. You, too, laugh heartily at the question "So...do you work?" Nope, not at all. Just lie on the couch reading romance novels and watch my toes get painted while a lathered up strong man feeds me grapes.

Or not.

Today:

6:45 am - Wake kids, pack lunches. Breakfast was on the fly -- cereal today.

7:25 am - Driving to CJSF meeting before school.

7:40 am - Driving to second school drop off.

8:00 am - Reading with Hayden, doing homework, and making word books.

9:00 am - Filling out community college application. Maybe it's time to go back to school and get that degree. Maybe.

10:00 am -- Pulling weeds. First sunny day in a long time, the earth is soft, weeds are MANY! Gardener is gone. I am the gardener. There is work to be done.

10:45 am -- Making peanut butter sandwiches and yelling at Hayden to get his shoes on for school! Banana and sandwich in hand -- we rush to the car.

11:00 am -- Drop off Hayden at school and run to the gas station and fabric store so I can cut out and make a make-shift "minnie mouse" skirt for Mallory for a variety show Saturday night she's in. (I know those of you who know me are laughing. In fact...my mother called as I was pulling in the parking lot and when I explained my daily chores she laughed and said: "That doesn't sound like you." I said, "I know! It's pure misery!" Waited in a line of, no kidding, 20 people long at least, got out of line in time to rush home before Lindsay gets dropped off from school from her minimum day.

12:20 pm -- Back outside pulling weeds. Not even close to being done. "Mom, can you come inside and help me with piano." Sure...I'm not doing anything!

12:45 pm -- Driving to piano. Time to do a cross-word puzzle while waiting for lesson to be over in the car. I can hear "Linus and Lucy" from inside the house through my open car windows. Enjoying the warmth of the sun and fresh air!!!

1:30 pm -- Driving home. Stop by a friend's house to see the puppies and construction on her new pool. (That's with hopes we get the summer invite for some splashing around.)

2:00 pm -- Not enough time to go home before we pick up Hayden at 2:20 pm. We chat in the car and try to finish our crossword.

2:30 pm -- Out mowing the lawns. Again, I'm the gardener.

3:00 pm -- Time to pick-up Mallory. Clearly, I'm also a chaffeuer. Uh oh. Middle school crisis. Daughter crying asking me to "...hurry and leave. I'll tell you in a minute..." while blubbering. Bully hitting my daughter -- trying to be funny (for a month) -- it's not. She's in tears. Embarrassed. I'm just mad.

3:10 pm -- Calling Principal. Now emailing. Obviously this is not a crisis for him.

3:30 pm -- Conversation about problem solving with my daughter. Vacuuming up silk worms in my kitchen. I know -- ????????? Where do they come from?

4:30 pm -- Time to put away lawn mower and pick up more branches into dumpster.

5:00 pm -- Time to start cutting and sewing.

Nope, I don't work...I just stay busy.

6 comments:

Wendi said...

Wow! Your day made me tired. All I had today was making Smileboxes for my family, visiting teachers coming, and blogging. I SHOULD'VE been doing yardwork. But that will happen soon enough...

Mamafamilias said...

So... does he peel those grapes before he drops them in your mouth? (The "lathered up strong man" cracked me up)

Oh, and does beach sand fall out of the pages of the romance novel as you're reading it? My library-working daughter says that's what happens when they get the paper-back romance novels turned back in at the library - you flip through the pages and all this beach-sand comes falling out. (Hmmm, did Grapefruit go by the library before heading to the beach?) (I'm not a blog-stalker - I just visit...on a really regular basis)

Mamafamilias said...

I forgot to say that the boss and I had the "stay-at-home" mom discussion just a couple of days ago - he has a stay at home wife and I don't think he QUITE understands the work involved - I had to seriously take up for her because I, too, have been on both sides of this fence. I know where you're coming from and I had to take a nap just after READING your post.

MelanieJ said...

I love the allusion to bon-bons. Whenever I have had a hard day, I tell my hubby that "I've been sitting here, eating bon-bons all day!" At least it makes us smile...and crave bon-bons (whatever they are).

Liz said...

It is sooo fun to hear the details in your day. We've also had a tiny bit of bullying recently: three separate girls from the same 2 brothers. Oh my. Hope it all works out for Mal. We love you all!
What I love about being a SAHM in being able to be so involved in my children's lives, even when it's so running-aroundy. I'm just glad to be around to see the grow up.

Grapefruit said...

Although...I DO manage a bon bon (or five) every now and then. :)